Have you ever heard of the term “Highway Hypnosis”? It’s a term that’s been coined for what goes on in major metropolitan areas every day. Your conscious mind becomes overloaded by information from your body, environment, subconscious mind, and conscious mind, so that your subconscious mind takes over and moves into the driver’s seat.
We all know the high cost of driving unconsciously. You can slam into someone’s car and not know how you got there.
Here’s the real question, though: What’s the cost of being unconscious on the highway of your life? Are you bumping into obstacles that you don’t need to bump into? Could you be navigating a much more effective path? Are you tuned out to the road signs that could make your life a smoother journey?
When your subconscious mind slides into the drivers seat of your life, what goes on? Is your mind full of negative self talk, thoughts of worry and doubts, fears that you’re not good enough or that it’s not going to work out, and conversations you could or should have had with people days or years before? Are you working yourself into a state of stress and fear based on old beliefs and programming?
Or is your subconscious mind encouraging you with kind, loving, supportive, and positive self-talk. Are you remembering optimistic, empowering moments of success? Are you drifting to thoughts of your dream life, the life you are moving forward to create?
The truth is that 90% of what you think, say, and do is based on the subconscious mind and the information it has stored. Scientists estimate that 80% of the subconscious beliefs we’re operating on as adults were developed before the age of 8. More important, researchers now estimate that 75% of those beliefs are negative!
If you aren’t conscious, you slip back into letting your subconscious mind take over and much of that is based on old beliefs, ideas, experiences, programming and limitations from the past.
That’s what happens in life and it can hold you back from success.
Cleaning out the closet of your mind to release and let go of limiting beliefs is a powerful step towards ending this cycle. This is not about blaming our parents or the people who raised us; it is about taking responsibility for our beliefs and getting rid of the old stuff that just doesn’t work anymore so we can consciously create the life we love to live.
We all know that our thoughts lead to our emotions, our emotions lead to our actions, and our actions lead to the results that we see in the world around us.
The key is to become conscious in your daily life so that you can choose the thoughts that will lead you to the destiny of your dreams. By consciously choosing to create new thought habits that are filled with powerful, positive beliefs, your highway of life becomes a smooth, easy, joyful adventure.
If you become aware that you’re not present in the moment, that your mind has drifted, and sense that your subconscious may be in the driver’s seat of your life, here are five practical steps you can use:
1. Create a fist with one of your hands and “count yourself out” by extending one finger at a time as you say “1-2-3-4-5, eyes open, wide awake!” Repeat this until you are in the present moment and consciously aware. If you’re driving, be sure to keep one hand on the wheel at all times.
2. Pay attention to your body, mind, and spirit. If you feel yourself becoming overwhelmed, take a walk, take a break, take a nap, and give yourself a moment to step off the Stress Express.
3. Be conscious of your surroundings and stay focused on one thing at a time. Be fully present in the moment with whatever is in front of you.
4. Create a dialogue with yourself that is positive and that allows you to anticipate the day ahead, verbally acknowledge and celebrate all that good things that are happening, and express gratitude for everything in your day including the fact that you have the gift of creating your dream.
5. Focus on what is right in your life and your vision of the life you choose to live. Give attention to what’s not working smoothly only long enough to correct your course through your actions, thoughts, or emotions. Learn the lesson, gain the wisdom, and move on.
Then, consciously choose the life you desire. You deserve it!
About the author:
Transformation Expert Debbie Friedman, M.S., C.Ht. is a scientist who has turned her attention from the Study of Nature to the Study Of Our Nature as human beings. An inspiring speaker and author, Debbie’s revolutionary programs on CD and in print include Cleaning Out the Closet of Your Mind and Manifesting Made Easy.
Debbie is the President and CEO of Cleaning Out The Closet Of Your Mind, Inc. She balances her international speaking and training seminars with a private practice in Southern California where she conducts workshops, teleconferences, and seminars.
Visit www.CleaningOutTheCloset.com to claim 2 free audios and 7 beginning steps to Living The Life You Love To Live.
It will look like this: The High Cost of Living Unconsciously