Do you read news articles from credible sources… or do you read the sound bites available on the internet?
Do you read articles about your industry, keeping abreast of trends and changes that might be relevant to your future?
Do you read novels, fact and fiction, classics and new age?
Do you read interesting business articles?
Do you even read long emails? I know that, in our ADHD world, many people will skim emails, potentially missing critical information.
It is tough to find time to read everything that you could possibly read, however it is extremely important that you make time to read enough.
Here are a few reasons why you should make that effort…
1. If you want to understand the latest thinking on your profession and/or your industry then you need to read regularly. Whether it is technological changes, business changes or legislative changes you should keep abreast of such events.
2. If you want to be able to communicate effectively at an executive level then you need to read regularly… plus develop your writing skills.
3. If you aspire to senior management roles then poor reading and writing skills will undermine your ability to be successful. You need to be able to read complex business documents and proposals.
4. Reading improves your communication skills, making you more articulate. People with good communication skills might outshine people who have better technical skills, because they are better able to articulate themselves. A good salesperson with greatcommunication skills might win the promotion over agreat salesperson with poor communication skills… and probably rightly so. Management positions NEED good reading and writing skills.
5. If you want to be able to hold a conversation with senior people then you had better be reasonably current on what is going on in the world. The latest baseball scores are not always going to cut it!
6. We live in an age of “shortcuts”… instant message instead of email, shortened forms of words, internet information rather than reading the newspaper. If you have great communication skills then you will differentiate yourself from those who do not possess such skills.
Society has evolved to its current state, partly because of innovation and partly on an evolution of communication. We need to be able to communicate well in order to grow and evolve… and in order to ensure your success you need to read.
Just my opinion but if you agree then build a reading habit!
It will look like this: Reading Is A Critical Skill – Do You Read Enough?