Change happens whether we want it to or not. Some people welcome change and find ways to turn the unexpected into an opportunity for growth. Others become frightened and simply react. How we handle the inevitable changes in life is key to living a life without fear. The right attitude can mean the difference between allowing unexpected life changes to keep us from achieving our goals or dealing with the changes and growing because of them.
When we are confronted with unforeseen changes in our lives, our first response may be to either run away from it or fight against it. Run or fight is an inborn survival instinct that occurs when we feel threatened. Fueled by adrenaline, the run or fight response is exhausting and leaves us feeling overwhelmed. However, there are steps we can take to gain control of our fear, embrace the challenge and turn adversity into an avenue for success.
Our first response to sudden change is often panic. Rapid breathing, sweaty palms and eye twitching are all signs of extreme alarm which keeps us from dealing with change in a positive way.
Deep breathing is one of the easiest and most useful techniques we can use to calm and center ourselves.
Follow these deep breathing relaxation steps:
- Sit up straight in a comfortable chair in a quiet, darkened room.
- Close your eyes.
- Try to make your mind blank. Don’t think about the challenges you are facing.
- Inhale through your nose slowly and deeply while silently counting to five. Feel your lungs fill with air.
- Exhale slowly through your mouth while counting to seven. Expel all the air from your lungs.
- Repeat as often as necessary.
Physical exertion is another great way to regain calm. Take a walk or weed the garden. Being outdoors in nature is helpful but the treadmill or exercise bike will work, too. Remember to take deep breaths; refrain from shallow breathing while exercising.
1. Reach out to friends and loved ones. Simply having a cup of tea with a friend can greatly reduce that feeling of panic.
2. Get some sleep but don’t overdo it. Clear your mind and do some deep breathing before retiring at night. Get up at the same time each morning. Don’t use sleep to avoid dealing with the challenges you must face.
3. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Stay away from junk food, caffeine and sugars.
4. Other useful techniques to calm stress include meditation, a warm bath and aroma-therapy.
Once the panic response is under control, you can face the problem and think about solutions.
Meeting the Challenge
Give yourself time to adjust. Your mind and body will show you the way to meet the challenge if you listen. Your attitude makes all the difference when dealing with adversity. Train your mind to see the change as a way to make something positive happen. Do not entertain negative thoughts.
Ask for direction from your spiritual force. We are all part of a universe that is much bigger than we are. Whether you call the source God, the universe, nature or your inner self, you are connected to a spiritual source that can not only help you through life’s changes, but can point the way to success.
Write down different choices that you have in response to a change. Ask yourself the consequences of each response, both to yourself, your friends and family. Remember, you will only be successful in meeting this challenge if you stay true to your core beliefs and values.
Picture yourself in the best case scenario after you have succeeded at meeting this challenge. Believe it can happen.
How Change Becomes Success
Unexpected changes often take us by surprise. We may feel as if we have lost our foundation and or are swimming against a rip tide. But change can give birth to our greatest life successes if we open ourselves up to the possibility.
What are the secrets that turn life changes into life successes?
1. Remain true to yourself. Never compromise your beliefs even if it is expedient or seems like the only way out at the time.
2. Listen to your spiritual source. You have asked for help, be receptive when the answer comes.
3. Think outside of yourself. How will your choices affect your friends, family, community and the earth on which we live? You are part of a much larger world and if you make decisions that benefit all, you will benefit yourself.
4. Dream your dreams. Your dreams cannot become reality if you don’t allow yourself to dream.
5. Be patient. Turning change into success may not happen overnight. Knowing that your spiritual source, mind and body are all working together toward one goal will help you stay focused and, in the end, become successful.
6. Help others. While we may be going through change and adversity ourselves, it is through helping others that we truly grow and succeed.
Success is measured in different ways in our society. Most commonly, it is measured by how many cars or homes we own and how our possessions compare to our neighbor’s. The fact is that having money does not necessarily equal happiness. True happiness comes from meeting life’s changes and overcoming challenges while remaining true to ourselves, knowing that we have lived our lives to the fullest, that we have valued others and that we’ve made our planet a better place.
It will look like this: Success Secrets – How Do You Adapt to Change?